Friday, July 16, 2010

What I'm working on...

So I figured maybe I should make this a regular update, as much to kick myself up the arse as anything else really.

Last Friday I had a number of projects that I was working on/aiming to start.

I have managed to write three genre poems (the genre being horror), including a villanelle, which made me aware that there are fewer words in the English language that rhyme with "them" than I would initially have thought. The other two poems were free verse, incidentally. I do like challenging myself to write certain types of poems though, so it was well worth it. I also manage to finish rewriting/reediting the literary piece, I wrote the zombie erotica story to submit to Rigor Amortis - and I actually submitted it as well. I finished rewriting the speculative horror/post apocalyptic piece and submitted that too.

So therefore, I'm still working on the fantasy - swords and sorcery epic. I haven't actually done anything with it since last week, but it has popped into my head on occasion.

I'm also working on a sci-fi type story involving time travel and a time paradox. I've made a start on it, but I think it's the kind of story I'm really going to need to plan out in advance or it'll confuse even me.

I'd like to write some more genre poems, some free verse but I'd also like to try something else. Maybe a ballad for a fantasy poem, or a sonnet for something else. Still vague ideas at the moment.

I had an idea for a literary (well, depressing and serious) piece a few weeks ago. Made a few notes on a scrap of paper in my handbag about it but haven't done anything else with it yet. So that's another piece on the 'to-do' list.

Oh, and going through my drafts folder, I found an old zombie sort of story, half finished. It'll need some work as well as an ending but it's longer than most of the stuff in my drafts folder - many documents in there are only a couple of sentences long, just vague ideas really.

Of course there's also the constant work of writing cover letters and reformatting according to the guidelines of wherever a piece is sent. The sooner I get some more acceptance emails rather than the constant slew of rejections, the better! I also have to resubmit a story that was submitted in February - the place I sent it to hasn't updated their website since March, and I sent a query two weeks ago and got no reply, so time to give up on them I think...


Anyway, this is one of my favourite songs at the moment. Love Gorillaz, love Damon Albarn, have done since early days of Blur. Music is great for inspiration...or just dossing around to.

Edit - is there actually a youtube video below? I can't see it for some reason...

3 comments:

Em said...

Can't see the video either.

You should try a sestina. ;)

Joleen said...

I don't like sestinas much...they feel too much like a mathematical exercise, not so much like a poem!

Em said...

I like them and I hate maths.