Thursday, June 24, 2010

Submission Day (but not in a kinky way)

I have an excel document listing all my short stories as well as where they're currently submitted to, and when. I change it whenever I get a rejection or acceptance.

The idea is to keep track. Organised. Well, to be honest, it's the only way I can avoid accidental simultaneous submissions and submitting a story a second time to someone who already rejected it. I am a scatterbrain at the best of times and now I have baby-brain as well!

I opened the document today though and realised that almost none of my stories were submitted anywhere anymore. There had been a couple of acceptances and a slew of rejections, but none of the rejected stories had been resubmitted anywhere else.

So today, I name you Submission Day. No, wait, that sounds like something kinky! Not that there's anything wrong with that of course, but it isn't quite what I was aiming for!

Basically, I am going through all the sites that seem suitable based on searches on Duotrope - various genres, but one thing I always search for is electronic submission accepted. It's easier for me and better for the environment and quicker for everyone, really.

So, fingers(and toes, and arms etc) crossed that some of the places I send to will love my work...

No comments: